While Round 1 of PARCC testing is almost over, Round 2 is just around the corner, as well as the Augmented Benchmark Examination in science for 7th graders, which is scheduled for April 14-15.
Round 2 for PARCC testing is April 28-May 1 for 6th grade, May 5-8 for 7th grade, and May 12-15 for 8th graders.
When a test is to be given, parents can help by making sure their child:
-The day before the test-
When you are rested, fed, and relaxed, you are setting the stage for success. Getting yourself ready for test day starts the night before.
- Pick out a comfortable outfit that will not be too tight, itchy, or warm. Choosing the right outfit the night before will save you time in the morning.
- Gather the supplies you need for the test, such as pencils and erasers.
- Set your alarm clock so that you do not oversleep. You want your morning routine to be as smooth and stress-free as possible. Getting up late and hurrying is not a fun way to start the day.
- Go to bed on time – or even early – so that you get a good night’s sleep and feel rested when you wake up in the morning.
-The morning of testing-
- Make sure that you wake up early enough to have time to eat a good breakfast. You need to “refuel” to get your brain and body moving again. Eat healthy foods that will give you plenty of energy to make it through the test. Take care not to eat too much.
- Leave for school or the bus stop a little early so you are sure to get to school on time. This is not a good day to miss the bus or arrive at school late. That could add stress to your day.
-During the test-
- Listen to or read test directions carefully. Then follow them.
- Ask your teacher about any test time rules or test directions that you don’t understand.
- Focus on one question at a time.
- Do the easy questions first. Put check marks next to the harder questions and come back to them later.
- Take care when filling in answer bubbles. Make sure the answer number matches the question number.