Arkadelphia Schools 2020-21 Reopening Information
Arkadelphia School District is preparing to begin the 2020-21 school year in a manner that it has never done before. As much as everyone would desire normalcy, the COVID-19 Pandemic has affected not only our nation and state, but our very community.
APSD has been working in preparation for welcoming back students and staff. This welcome, however, will look different because of the importance of everyone's health and safety. Work is being done to not only keep our students and staff safe, but to continue to provide an education with excellence and equity whether that is onsite or online.
On July 9, 2020, Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson announced that the start date for school will be pushed back. A new APSD School Calendar has been established; school will begin on Monday, August 24, 2020. Click here to see the new APSD School Calendar.
student Ready For Learning Options
Arkadelphia will currently offer students the opportunity to attend school online or onsite. Students will be enrolled with an Arkadelphia Public School teacher. Students will have the opportunity to use a school issued digital device (K-8: touchscreen ChromeBook; 9-12: MacBook). For more information on the Learning Options or to sign up for Online Learning, click here.
COVID-19 School Outbreak Response Protocol
The Arkansas Department Education has outlined a response protocol that Arkadelphia Public Schools will implement in the event of a positive COVID-19 case within the District. To view the ADE Response Levels for On-site Learning click here.
Ready For Learning Committee
Under the direction of the Arkansas Department of Education, an APSD Ready for Learning Committee has been established. This committee brings together a variety of input. It has also been a means of communicating the evolving guidelines and requirements that are being issued by the Arkansas Department of Health and the Arkansas Department of Education and how they apply to our District.
The District Administration has been regularly meeting with campus principals to prepare for the reopening of school in August. Each APSD principal--Shannon Prince, Perritt Primary School; Mary Snowden, Peake Elementary School; Cheryl Merk, Goza Middle School; and Callie Hunley, Arkadelphia High School, has formed a committee to address academic and safety concerns that are customized to the age and grade level of their campus, but are following the requirements of the Arkansas Department of Health and Department of Education.
ARKADELPHIA PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT READY FOR LEARNING GOALS
- APSD is committed to the safety of all students and staff and will implement the latest health and safety guidelines from the Arkansas Department of Health and the Arkansas Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- APSD will deliver curriculum, instruction, and assessment in a blended learning environment. This will ensure that all K-12 students are connected to high quality instruction and engagement, regardless of location.
- APSD instruction, whether online or on-site will include new content consisting of the appropriate course content standards.
- APSD will provide the opportunity for each student to use a digital device that can be utilized to access online instructional content.
- APSD is working to ensure that each student in the District has Internet access that is sufficient to utilize the District’s Learning Management System (LMS) that includes coursework containing streamed or uploaded lessons and activities in an event extended school closures become necessary.
- APSD will identify student knowledge and learning gaps using NWEA diagnostic assessment and develop tailored instructional support for each K-8 student using a student-focused approach.
- APSD will build a connected educational community that promotes school spirit and student involvement.
- APSD will provide support for parents and students to innovate and adapt to new learning opportunities. This support includes interacting with parents, students, and the community regarding day-to-day expectations.